Saturday, October 27, 2007

Playing with Slippery Triangles

It's been a while since I have posted a pattern. I guess it's been busy. I modified Slippery Triangles to make this. The original purple triangles were replaced with limited Sierpinski's triangles I'll include the first couple of iterations. I put red triangles as the initial triangles so that it would be clearer what the progression was. I made sure that the purple triangles didn't get too small otherwise they would be difficult to see.

One of the things that I find appealing about this pattern is the slightly out of alignment of the triangles. It introduces a bit of conflict into the pattern. As well, by stopping the replacement of triangles at a coarse level I think that it suggests the a fractal pattern but stops short. Perhaps I'm over thinking this one.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

is the slightly out of alignment of the triangles

I don't know what you mean.
Where and what are they out of alignment with?

Jim Morey said...

If the triangles were correctly aligned, there would be no orange hexagons. By sliding the triangles along their connecting edge, you can alter the size of the hexagon. When you slide them so that the triangles exactly coincide you will get all the triangles nice aligned (but also looking very boring). Does that answer you question? Or make things worse?

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I get what you mean now.
Thanks.

(we wouldn't want boring, now would we)

Popular Posts